The following cleanroom gowning requirements are to be use as a recommendation only. Not all cleanrooms will use the same gowning procedures. Follow your specific cleanroom or company procedural manual before this guide.
Cleanroom Gowning Guide (Non-Sterile Cleanrooms)
- Wash and dry hands thoroughly
- Bouffant Cap – Use a bouffant cap to completely cover hair.
- Tacky Mat – Walk on the mat and roll any carts entering the cleanroom over the mat.
- Shoe Covers – Place shoe cover over the entire shoe and contain laces.
- Cleanroom Gloves – Some cleanrooms require that you use gloves while dressing. This will be the first of two sets.
- Face Mask – Bend nosepiece so mask fits on face
- Hood – Put hood over mask and ensure face/neck seal are not exposed
- Coverall – Step into coverall, making sure sleeves and upper garment do not touch any objects
outside of cleanroom. Tuck hood panels inside coverall before zipping up
- Boot Covers – Place boot covers over legs of coveralls
- Eye Protection – Put on goggles if your cleanroom requires eye protection.
- Cleanroom Gloves – Put on over first set of gloves or remove first set and then put on cleanroom gloves. Make sure gloves cover the cuff of the sleeve
Minimum Garment Recommendations by Class
|ISO 8 / Class 100,00||ISO 7 / Class 10,000||ISO 6 / Class 1,000||ISO 5 / Class 100||ISO 4 / Class 10|
Protective Apparel Materials Comparison
|Material||Key Attributes||Protection Rating|
|SMS||Very durable. Excellent liquid and dust protection. Superior paritcle retention and water vapor transmission to keep users cool||Best protection and durability|
|Microporous||Cloth-like, waterproof barrier protection. Allows water vapor to escape.||Medium with excellent water protection|
|PE Coated Polypropylene||Light liquid splash protection||Basic with water protection|
|Spunbound Polypropylene||Cost-effective protection for light weight uses. Lightweight||Basic protection|
|Polyethylene||Ideal for shorter-term use for light weight protection. Poor barrier to liquids. Easy to rip and tear.||Light and tempory protection|